BooksChristian.com: Low Prices...Great Selection

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Plain Promise by Beth Wiseman


Plain Promise is a story of a young Amish widow named Sadie who is trying to rebuild her life after the sudden death of her husband. She has a suitor she has yet to meet face to face. They court each other through letters and Sadie hopes to marry him one day. She spends her days working her small farm and running her shop hoping for the day they will wed. Never seeing how the best laid plans can go astray.

Normally I am not a big fan of romance but I couldn’t resist the tender way Ms. Wiseman unfolded this story. It drew me in and kept me cheering for a happy ending for Sadie.

The author took her time and didn’t take the straight road to romance. I must admit I felt the sting and disappointment of her lead character Sadie when all her hopes for the future seemed to be dashed yet again. Sadie's strong commitment to her faith kept her grounded as she cried out to know the will of God.

Beth Wiseman made the Amish community and their simple life a joy to behold. It is a reminder that God should be the center of our lives.

The book is descriptive, imaginative and at times humorous. I enjoyed the time I spent in Lancaster County and look forward to reading other books by this gifted author.



2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very good book!
    I think I will enjoy it and am going to read it.
    Thank you for the review, Analisa.

    Margie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, I love Lancaster and the Amish there as I didn't live too far away. And yes, I like romances if they aren't too predictable. Hers sound great!

    ReplyDelete